Friday, October 31, 2008

C.W. KNIGHT: POST #6

My oldest brother C.W. was called to go to the service of our country. I didn't understand much of that except that he was having to leave home and I didn't like that. The first time that I was ever out of the state of Arkansas was to go with the family to take him to Memphis to leave for Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas. That was 7,000 miles from Herman Junction I thought and I really felt bad about his going there. You see, C.W. was a fine big brother. When he would be away from home working at the cotton gin at night, he would walk home when he got off the next morning and you could hear him singing when he came around the curve about a quarter of a mile from the house. Or, if he came in during the night and you happened to still be awake you could hear him coming home and singing at the top of his voice.

After he got in the service for some time and had saved up some money he bought the most beautiful car that I had ever seen and he left it at home for Dad to take care of for him. It was a beautiful chevrolet with a black top and burgundy body. It was really was a beautiful car. I wanted us to drive it everywhere we went but we took Dad's old car and left C.W.'s car at home.

When I began preaching full time in Michigan City, Indiana guess who the song leader was? Yep, it was C.W. Knight and he could really lead singing. He not only was a great singer but he could motivate others to sing as well and in that little concrete block building with a concrete floor, the singing just bounced everywhere and it was wonderful. C.W. was a hard working man. He got me a job working with him in a factory when I got out of high school and before I went to Harding. He worked at several different kinds of jobs and was appreciated by his superiors at every one of them.

In 1953 he got out of the Army and married Emma Ishamel and they moved to Michigan City, Indiana where they lived for 16 years. They brought two red headed boys into the world, Charles, Jr. and Robert. Mom always wanted a red headed child but didn't have one. Those two boys were both red headed. At least they were until they lost it!

One never forgets older brothers like him. Herman Junction never turned out a nicer man and great song leader. I will always carry those memories with me as long as I live. I wish that every person could have a brother as fine as C.W. is. He is one of the reasons that all is well at Herman Junction.

(C. W. paseed away on November 3, 2009 in Hensley, Arkansas. He was buried in the National cemetery at Sherwood, Arkansas. It was my privilege to speak at his funeral service and remember many, many, good things about him and share them with our family and friends. The world is not as good a place as it was before we lost him.)

No comments: